Chris Kennelly, Owner of Northfield Construction Company offers you some insight into the most important questions to ask your contractor before hiring them for a project.
When interviewing a contractor for a job, I think it is essential to ask questions that ensure your contractor has the past experience and project team needed to complete the job. Contractors come in many shapes and sizes, and each contractor has different capabilities, staff size, and backlog of projects.
Here are some key questions to ask:
- How long has your company been around?
- What similar projects like ours have you completed for clients?
- Can we call them for a reference or can you provide other references?
- How much of the work do you self-perform?
- What is the experience level of your staff?
- How far out is your current schedule?
- Who will be my day-to-day contact on the job?
- What type of communication can I expect on my project?
Remember, don’t just feel satisfied about asking the questions. Listen to the contractor’s answers and get concrete examples of his capabilities. Call the references they give you and make sure you are comfortable with the contractor you are choosing. In the end, a successful project is built on trust, and you need to trust the contractor you choose.