You’re familiar with the term “do-it-yourself,” right? It is versatile and can be applied to many areas of life, from crafts to food to clothes and so much more. Sometimes, you just can’t get something done right unless you do it yourself.
At Northfield Construction Company, this is an attitude that we fully support. To us, “do-it-yourself” means taking a personalized approach to construction, with the expertise of our dedicated team to help with execution. We specialize in high-quality custom builds, and we want to help make a project uniquely yours.
Custom construction can be intimidating — we get it! It’s one thing to tour pre-built homes and decide on which one to purchase. It’s another thing entirely to conceptualize your entire space from the ground up! In fact, after reading that last sentence, you may feel even more overwhelmed — take a deep breath! If you are seriously considering a custom build in your future, this is the blog post for you. Here are some tips for getting started. Don’t forget to give our team a call for more insight!
- Know what you like, and more importantly, what you don’t. Custom homes are all about the homeowner. The result of a custom project is the place that you will call home, and that matters to us. That’s why we make sure to account for every detail. You might need to make some adjustments or compromises along the way, but it’s good to know where you stand on the big stuff (think: layout, square footage, and structural components).
- Think big picture. What you want in a house right now and what you may need in the future can sometimes contradict each other. The custom home you are working toward right now doesn’t need to be your Forever Home, but at the same time, you don’t want to rule it out completely! Ask our team for more details on the Forever Home approach. For now, think about what your life may look like in the next ten years or so.
- Make sure it meets your amenity needs. From basic amenities to added essentials, part of the planning process means laying it all out on the table. Are there certain upgrades around the home that are necessary for your satisfaction? Are there parts of your vision for the outdoor space that you want to make sure are tackled? It’s worth bringing up just to see how it all can fit in to the goals of the project.
- Understand the timeline. Good things take time, and that sentiment is no different when it comes to a custom home build. Make sure that you understand the intricacies of the timeline pertaining to your project, so that you can properly plan for its completion.
- Know your budget, inside and out. This may seem extremely obvious but having the funds to produce a custom build is extremely important. It’s easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of customization, but don’t forget to keep track of exactly what you can and can’t afford. Having a solid grip on your budget will allow you flexibility and security during the duration of the project and beyond.
- Ask questions. Don’t shy away from asking any questions. This is your custom home, after all. You need to know what you need to know! That’s why the Northfield Construction Company team is here to help — we answer your questions and get the job done.
At Northfield Construction Company, we’re ready to help jump-start your journey. Let’s discuss if a custom home is the right approach for you.