DJJD Hog Roast

The committee hosted a hog roast for area business people and supporters of DJJD last night. In spite of a hot August night the turn out a the event was excellent. I’m up early most days and yesterday I passed the hog roast location and saw the workers there under the lights at 4:30AM tending to the hog roasting.

Beautiful Morning Sun

We start our days early at Northfield Construction Company. One of the benefits of doing that is we get to see a lot of sunrises. Today’s morning sun was spectacular!

Water Rising

This morning I arrived at my shop/office early like I usually do, before the sun came up. Once it was light out I wandered to the back part of our site to see how the Cannon River was looking. As I saw the water slowly creeping up the land I could only think of the great old Johnny Cash song “How High’s the Water Momma? It’...

Winterwalk

Ellen and I were at downtown Northfield last night for the annual Winterwalk. What a perfect evening for the event!  There were hundreds  and hundreds of people all out and about downtown. The streets were blocked off to cars so that the horse drawn wagon rides could take people from one end of downtown to the oth...

Northfield Historical Society Accessibility Project

We have started work on a nice project for the Northfield Historical Society. It involves making the Scriver Building more accessible to people and includes the installation of an elevator. The Scriver Building is a wonderful old stone building standing proud on Bridge Square. We've done work on it off and on, including installing a ...

Northfield Home and Garden Show

With the arrival of spring, it is also time for the Northfield Home and Garden show. This year has brought some changes to the show. It is no longer being held at a local school...instead it is being held at the Northfield Ice Arena. That should be a great venue for the show. All the exhibitors will be located in the same space, it i...

Father’s Day

Yesterday I enjoyed a wonderful Father's Day with Ellen,  my three children, their two spouses, and my two grandchildren. It was a perfect day for our outdoor picnic. My grandaughter is 15 months old and my grandson is 5 months old....perfect ages to have fun with Grandpa.  The biggest treat for me however was from my three childre...

Open House at Historical Society

Last night the held an open  house for the public to see their newly completed renovations that we have been working on with them. The Scriver building never looked so proud! The Society provided snacks and beverages for people and let them wander around to inspect the new work. I had many comments from people about how wonderful e...

Defeat of Jesse James Days

Wednesday evening the committee hosted a dinner for firms and individuals that provide financial support to the event. Defeat of Jesse James Days (DJJD) is a huge undertaking in Northfield. Committee members are hard at work all year making plans and preparations for the event. When it actually happens....the weekend after Labor Day...

Habitat for Humanity Rice County

Yesterday several Northfield Construction Company employees helped out our local Habitat for Humanity organization. Habitat is building two homes on the east side of Northfield. The lots are in a developed are of town and the area looks very nice. Earlier work crews had constructed all the walls for the house. The house walls are co...