Rotary Picnic

One of the really great things about Northfield is the wonderful organizations and groups active in the community, working to make it a better, stronger place for all. One of those groups is the .

We held our annual summer picnic last night at a member’s rural home. The rain held up and the sun came out. It was a beaut...

Bridge Dedication

Saturday the City of Northfield held a dedication ceremony for the new trail bridge over the Cannon River. It was a glorious morning to be out and about and lots of area folks showed up for the event. It gave us all a fine opportunity to chat with each other about trails, nature walks, the river, ArtSwirl, and other things going ...

NHS 40th Reunion

Last weekend my Northfield High school class of 1969 held its 40th class reunion. What a great event! We had a variety of activities in the area including golfing on Saturday, and a wonderful brunch on Sunday at the Lion’s picnic shelter in Riverside Park. We had 230 graduates in June of 1969 and just over 100 of the...

Rotary Bike Tour

This weekend Northfield held its annual Defeat of Jesse James Days event. The weather was perfect for a community wide celebration like this. There are lots of events for people to select from during the weekend long celebration. We have a tractor pull, old car show, rodeo, parade, bike tour, running races, arts shows, drama produ...

Tom Gillaspy on Demographics

Last night I attended a presentation by Tom Gillaspy, Minnesota’s State Demographer. He was invited to speak in Northfield on demographic trends by the Northfield/Cannon Falls League of Women Voters. I thank them for arranging for this informative talk and discussion. A good sized group of area residents showed up at the Commun...

Contractor Dinner

Yesterday evening the hosted its annual Contractor Appreciation dinner for area builders. This is a fun event and a great time to gather together and chat with people in the building construction trades. As in past years, the event was held at the Odd Fellows Park pavilion on the west side of Northfield. There was a good turn ou...

Chamber Forum

Yesterday morning I attended a business and property owners forum. The forum was hosted by the Northfield Area Chamber of Commerce, with facility space provided by Community Resource Bank. Several city council members as well as the Mayor and city administrator attended to hear thoughts, ideas and concerns about issues in Northfi...

Contrail

In the construction business we typically start our days early. I’m usually in my office by 6:00AM. One of the advantages of that is getting to see all sorts of interesting early morning weather. Today I glanced out the window and saw a beautiful jet contrail captured in the sky by the emerging sun light.

NAF Birthday Party

Last night Ellen and I attended a birthday party…..for the (NAF). NAF is celebrating its first 15 years of helping organizations in the Northfield area. I currently serve on the Board of Advisors for NAF and have thoroughly enjoyed that service. We had a great time last night, complete with a fitting birthday cake.

T...

Perkins Big Trucks

Our construction company shop/office is located just up the road from company. Perkins is a very interesting trucking company in that they handle large, heavy and oversize loads. If you have been in the Northfield area for the past few years you have probably seen their rigs either coming back to their shop, or leaving the shop....