Happy New Year

As we close out the year 2008 I will leave you with a photo of the rural Northfield house we are constructing. The snowy landscape and tarped up roof full of snow sum up winter in Minnesota!

I wish everyone a pleasant and safe New Year’s Eve and a prosperous and healthy 2009.

Northfield Area Foundation

This morning I participated in a very fun event. I serve on the Board of Advisors for the Northfield AreaNAFlogo Foundation (NAF). ...

Wright’s Keys

Earlier this week Ellen and I had an opportunity to do something I’ve always wanted to do….visit a private Frank Lloyd Wright home. The opportunity presented itself when a friend arranged for us to see the Thomas E. Keys home in Rochester, MN. Mr. Keys was a librarian at the Mayo Clinic. He contracted to have his home built i...

Construction Award

Last Friday evening Ellen and I attended the 2008 Excellence in Construction dinner in Golden Valley. This event is sponsored by the Minnesota Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) and was held at the Metropolitan Ballroom in Golden Valley. Associated Builders and Contractors, with over 50 years experien...

License Class

Last Monday I spent the day taking a building contractor’s continuing education class in Bloomington. The State of Minnesota requires all residential building contractors complete 7.5 hours of education each year. While it is never easy to fit in a whole day at a seminar, I always seem to enjoy the classes. I appreciate the opp...

High School Career Day

This morning I joined several small business owners, medical professionals, photographers, artists, journalists, and others for Career Day at Northfield High School. This was another great Career Day. We spoke with 5 separate groups of sophomores during the morning time periods. This is an excellent way for students to ask questio...

Visit with Governor Pawlenty

Yesterday I attended a luncheon with Minnesota . The event was organized by the and was held at the College City Beverage in Dundas. College City Beverage has a great training room in their new facility that doubles as an excellent gathering space for such an event.

There was a good crowd of area busines...

Mexican construction

Last week Ellen and I were vacationing in southern Mexico. Neither of us had been to Mexico in the past. We had a thoroughly enjoyable time in a little town called Puerto Morelos.

One if the things I do on vacation is to observe area construction methods. There was not a lot of construction going on in this little town, ...

Home and Garden Show

The 2009 Northfield Home and Garden show was held last Saturday at Bridgewater Elementary school. It was a beautiful sunny day, which tended to focus more people visiting the show in the morning than the afternoon. We also had the Northfield High School prom on Saturday and I suspect there were lots of people busy in the afternoo...

Habitat for Humanity

Yesterday Northfield Construction Company employees had a chance to provide some support to the community. We met after our normal workday at a new Habitat for Humanity house under construction and installed the roof system.

The house, for the Rosas family, is located in Dundas. Like many of the local Habitat homes, this ...